Picture of Is Automation and Testing a typical job for a Software Engineering trainee?

Is Automation and Testing a typical job for a Software Engineering trainee?

Best discussions & stories
Picture of Stefanos
5 responses

Additional information

I'm not surprised about the testing part, but after applying I was specifically asked if I am open to Automation as well (not in the job description) I haven't dealt with automation before, but I'm not sure if this is something you would be expected to do as a trainee. Is this a good sign?

Martin S. asked a question to Information Technology

Category: Open positions

Date asked: Friday, April 21, 2023

Last reviewed: Friday, October 6, 2023

Picture of Stefanos B.

Stefanos B.

Software Engineer

Hello, and thank you for your question. Testing is just as important a task as development. Every good development needs a detailed and analytical test to verify that the implementation of the new feature has been done correctly and that other functions of the product have not been affected. There are different types of tests. The 2 best-known are manual testing and automated testing. Each of them has its own importance and utility. In most cases, automated tests are preferable because they can be combined with other test cases to create large test suites. In conclusion, I can tell you that testing is not a typical job for a trainee software engineer. There are job opportunities specifically for testing positions. Additionally, automation testing is a good way to expand your knowledge and skills in the Python programming language and other related frameworks such as Robot and Selenium. Also, a good understanding of the Linux environment can be gained through manual and automated testing procedures.

Friday, April 21, 2023

Martin S.

Hello, Stefanos Thank you for your detailed answer!

Saturday, April 22, 2023

Picture of Genesis S.

Genesis S.

For smaller-scale applications, replicating application state for testing may be more trivial. Let's say, for example, you're just testing a constructor. Easy! But if we're looking for "canaries" for more complex proposed changes, what tools do you use to create a "container" to test your feature? Let's say we've built a tool on the backend that switches load balancing services after the service surpasses an upper threshold of network traffic, are there remote traffic tools to simulate traffic in a production environment?

Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Picture of Sandrine H.

Sandrine H.

Employer Brand Ops and Innovation Lead

@Stefanos anything you want to add here?

Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Picture of Stefanos B.

Stefanos B.

Software Engineer

Hello and thank you all for your comments. In general, and regarding a typical job for a software engineer intern I would like to add the following: I can't say that there is a typical or specific job for a Software Engineer trainee. Each type of work can be done at different levels, for example beginner, intermediate and professional. Automated and manual testing is a vital type of work, especially for development and in most cases accompanies it in all phases of a product. The most important thing in finding the most suitable trainee position is to think about what you like. What do you think best fits your educational level of knowledge? What are you really interested in and want to delve into? How do you think your hard and soft skills can drive the job you choose. In conclusion, I believe that deciding on an intern position is only up to you and there is no right or wrong option.

Friday, October 6, 2023

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?