Picture of I have prior work experience (2 y) in Business Operations and want to pursue Product Management. Where should I start?

I have prior work experience (2 y) in Business Operations and want to pursue Product Management. Where should I start?

Picture of Dharmendra
1 response

Dushyant K. asked a question to Dharmendra S.

Category: Career Advice

Date asked: Saturday, November 26, 2022

Last reviewed: Sunday, December 4, 2022

Picture of Dharmendra S.

Dharmendra S.

Head of Business Group and Shared Services - Global Sales Support

Hi, thanks for your question. In my opinion, these 2 roles have different expectations. As you have just started your career, it is still relatively easier to switch. Product management is more about a deep understanding of a customer's need and connecting the same with product and technology. As an example, if we talk about the next big technology (like 6G in the future), a product manager would get feedback from the lead customers (e.g. top 50 communication service providers and enterprises) about the exact requirements and ensure that our product/solution is the best fit and ahead of the competition. The Product manager will work closely with R&D on one side to ensure timely readiness (of products, solutions, features) and match customer expectations and sales teams on the other side for the right pricing, product launch, success, customer response, etc. A product manager has a big role to play in new product introduction and customer pilots too. Hope this clarifies and I wish you the best.

Sunday, December 4, 2022

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?