Picture of What's an effective way to showcase the knowledge and experience I get during my PhD during the hiring process?

What's an effective way to showcase the knowledge and experience I get during my PhD during the hiring process?

Picture of Laura
1 response

Additional information

How can I relate the experience I'm getting in my PhD program to the job description requirements in an effective way? My question goes beyond showing published papers, and more in the direction of letting people know that I'm improving my skills of working independently on solving tough problems, and grinding through difficult moments, returning to the same research question day after day until I find the solution. People gain these abilities during their PhD, but I would like to know if these skills are appreciated in Nokia.

Elena-Iulia X. asked a question to Engineering & Science

Category: Interview Tips

Date asked: Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Last reviewed: Thursday, May 28, 2020

Picture of Laura V.

Laura V.

Technology Centre development manager

Hi, and thank you for a good question. From my experience (also as a recruiting manager), the best way to show these skills is an example of the execution. Think about a time when you acted accordingly where you have been proven these skills in real life. Then tell that story or several of those to the recruiting manager, either on the phone already or during the interview. It doesn't even need to be work-related, but just an example. With those, you will prove your character. These types of skills are very much valued within Nokia. Resilience, curiosity, continuous improvement, and problem-solving are excellent characteristics and will be highly appreciated in our working community. I wish you all the best.

Thursday, May 28, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?