Picture of Are minority employees treated fairly and equally at Nokia?

Are minority employees treated fairly and equally at Nokia?

Picture of Charles
Picture of Sandrine
3 responses

James M. asked a question to Charles J.

Category: About us

Date asked: Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Last reviewed: Monday, January 4, 2021

Picture of Charles J.

Charles J.

Learning Solutions Consultant

As a minority employee, I have been treated fairly and equally at Nokia. Nokians do not tolerate such behaviors and are encouraged to voice their concerns, without fear of retaliation, when they observe any such undesirable practices. Minorities are generally more perceptive to the treatment of individuals within their minority community than those outside of that community. While I personally have not witnessed discrimination, racism, or unfair treatment against any minority employee at Nokia, I do feel that there are areas where Nokia as a company could do a better job of demonstrating its commitments to fairness and equality. For example, to demonstrate that it has no glass ceiling for qualified applicants, Nokia could and should do a better job of appointing qualified minorities for some of the higher-level leadership positions within the company, and not just for the entry-level and first-line manager roles. That is, Nokia does well when hiring minority applicants, but does seem to falter somewhat when it comes to promoting them. Minorities and perhaps women to a lesser degree are currently underrepresented at the highest-level positions at Nokia. I believe that there is no African American representation on the Nokia Senior Leadership Team, and most of the key organizational leadership positions within business groups and teams are occupied by males.

Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Picture of Sandrine H.

Sandrine H.

Employer Brand Ops and Innovation Lead

hi Bori M. would you like to share your perspective on this very important topic?

Monday, January 4, 2021

Picture of Bori M.

Bori M.

Head of Coaching & Mentoring

I do agree with Charles that we still have opportunities to improve when it comes to more senior leadership positions in Nokia, and the "glass ceiling" topic deserves more discussion internally, I would hasten to say that we are a very inclusive company and are doing our best to offer equal opportunities - regardless of race, gender, religion, age, location and so forth. We are encouraging an inclusive culture across Nokia, have an Inclusion & Diversity survey to measure where we stand and find the right areas to focus on and improve. We also pay attention to minorities and any form of unconscious bias in our leadership training and discussions. As a conclusion, my answer to the question "Are minority employees treated fairly and equally at Nokia?" would be a yes!

Monday, January 4, 2021

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?