Picture of Have you ever struggled on your journey to becoming a self-actualized individual? If so, how did you overcome it?

Have you ever struggled on your journey to becoming a self-actualized individual? If so, how did you overcome it?

Picture of Charles
2 responses

Daniel S. asked a question to Charles J.

Category: Experience

Date asked: Sunday, October 16, 2022

Last reviewed: Saturday, November 5, 2022

Picture of Charles J.

Charles J.

Learning Solutions Consultant

Hi Daniel  Your question is a unique one. Self-actualization can mean different things to different people; thus, my definition of self-actualization is my own and may not align with that of others. My characterization of self-actualization is the process of becoming everything you are capable of becoming and the ability to become the best version of yourself. I feel that every one of us, from time to time, struggles on our journey to becoming a self-actualized individual. My position aligns somewhat with that of the renowned psychologist Abraham Maslow, who believed that true self-actualization was rare and a continuous journey. It would take many more details than practical for this response to fully address your question in the context of my life’s experiences. Of course, I have struggled, continue to struggle, and fully expect future struggles on my journeys to self-actualization. Why? Because self-actualization is a constant work in progress, and because both we and our environment constantly change, we learn from our experiences and never stay completely the same. I take feel that for self-actualization(s) there first must exist the opportunities to excel, secondly would be having the motives, will, courage, and determination to respond to those opportunities to excel, and thirdly would be to possess the self-awareness/emotional intelligence to realize that the achievement attained has met or exceeded one’s self-defined capacity (i.e., mental, physical, humanity, etc.). Too, we often learn most, not when we are perfectly successful, but when we fail to meet our own expectations. Nokia provides a prime environment for self-actualization. In Nokia, the workplace environments offer the data, resources, and incentives needed to maximize individual performance. Nokia also recognizes our individual performance factors which include our knowledge, capacities, and motives. Reflecting on one’s younger years can help us tap into our inner spontaneity. To that end, I mostly credit my upbringing for the times that I have demonstrated self-actualization. I was born and raised in rural eastern North Carolina where incomes are very low, illiteracy and high-school dropout rates were high, and where farming (of tobacco, peanuts, corn, cotton, soybean, etc.) is still the primary economic driver. I had seven where our family of 10 lived in a woodstove-heated 4-room shack (our father later enclosed the back porch to create a then 5-room shack and added an electric pump to provide running water). As a child, I hand-picked cotton (for 3 cents per pound), weeded peanut and cotton fields (for 50 cents an hour at 9 years of age) and worked tobacco fields (for as much as a dollar and fifty cents per hour). All were exhausting and somewhat dangerous occupations where 10-hour workdays were the norm  even for children who could work. Such an environment was ideal, as it required motivation, resilience, creativity for becoming a self-actualized individual than I realized at the time. There were times when, even as a teenager, I truly believed that I would spend my life as a laborer on someone else’s farm. Still, I prided myself by believing that I was the best peanut weeder and tobacco worker ever. So, even in that farming and child-labor permitting environment, self-actualization could still be a reality. I feel now the challenges associated with my upbringing helped contribute to the attaining the basic needs, relationship needs, self- and collective respect or esteem needs, required to achieve self-actualizations. Examples of times that I felt self-actualized include earning the Expert Infantryman’s Badge in the US Army which is it’s highest peacetime award, having opportunities to work first hand with Nokia Bell Labs scientists, graduating at the top of my military leadership class, earning my Ph.D. with 4.0 GPA, earning my first gold medal during national track and field competition, passing the test required to achieve project management professional certification, vicariously through high achievements of my kids and siblings, being homecoming king, and completing a 100 mile road march with full equipment in 3 days (another military thing) to name a few. Truth is, having a materially challenged childhood and serving 4 years in the military as a paratrooper made working hard and never giving up come naturally. I view as a blessing the opportunity to face the many challenges of life that most people seem to complain about. I have been blessed to with some outstanding role models too  one was a lawyer, banker, educator, humanitarian, farmer, and author of 25 books  who entered college at 14 years of age, and by age 24, had earned four degrees, including a law degree from Harvard University. I hope that you found some value in my response. As I said earlier, I feel that Nokia is a great place for you to pursue your own self-actualizations. Thank you again for asking your very interesting (and personal) question.

Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Daniel S.

Hi Charles, Truthfully, I was a tad nervous to ask this question for obvious reasons; however, I felt impelled regardless because your "Top Advice" states "be genuine." All in all, I learned quite a few valuables ideas, and I genuinely appreciate your involved response - I've reread it more times than I can count at this point. Similarly, I cannot delve into all the details due to the medium, but what perhaps stuck to me the most was your definition of self-actualization. I find myself repeating "A challenge is just an opportunity to excel" like a mantra. And of course, for what it's worth, you are the second (out of two people) to emphasize Nokia's passion for individual growth - an admirable initiative. Best wishes~

Saturday, November 5, 2022

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?