Picture of How did this company support your career growth?

How did this company support your career growth?

Picture of Andrejs
Picture of Lucy
2 responses

Nayan T. asked a question to Andrejs B.

Category: Career progression

Date asked: Friday, November 22, 2019

Last reviewed: Sunday, December 15, 2019

Picture of Andrejs B.

Andrejs B.

Source To Pay Project Development Team Lead

Hi Nayan, Before coming to Nokia I thought there is a standardized career path - do the job and get promoted. However, Nokia helped me to understand that career is not only about working more, but rather about getting diverse experience, learning new skills, adapting and developing yourself in various areas. In that way, one career is definitely not equal to another. Nokia supports our careers and personal development by giving us a certain freedom to choose where we want to develop and providing opportunities for that. In particular, besides my regular job description, I (and other Nokia colleagues) am always encouraged to engage in projects or activities that are linked to the areas that interest me - be it proposing and leading an initiative to develop soft/leadership skills or participating in a specific project to gain competence and broaden my knowledge & network. This approach helps us explore our interests and encourages to look for areas where we can improve and learn the most. On top of that, Nokia also offers formal coaching for those who are serious about advancing their careers and want a second pair of eyes on their personal and professional development.

Monday, December 2, 2019

Picture of Lucy F.

Lucy F.

head of technology

Hi, Nayan, Nokia provides me a very good environment to support my career development. What I feel very helpful is that I could share my thinking about my personal development plan with my direct line manager. At Nokia, we have a practice of regular one to one talks between the line manager and the employee. During the dialogue not only current working status is covered, but also a personal development plan is discussed. The employees can share openly about further areas of interest and projects and we are encouraged to learn more and try more. It's quite often that we contribute to other projects which support our personal development, and internally there are many learning resources we can get from NokiaEDU (Our learning and development center). Mentorship and coaching are also part of our culture. We have well-trained coaches around the globe and each and everyone can decide to benefit from the coaching sessions. And I love that Nokia provides an internal job market platform, all internal open positions are visible for employees. After working in the current position for 2-3 years, it's supported for us to internal transfer to another position which you think could both benefit the company and your development. I tried different positions because of the open internal opportunities, it really supports my career development.

Sunday, December 15, 2019

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?