Picture of How is the engineer onboarding, training, and mentorship? If you started as a junior engineer, what was your experience?

How is the engineer onboarding, training, and mentorship? If you started as a junior engineer, what was your experience?

Best discussions & stories
Picture of Eva
Picture of Stefanos
6 responses
Start new discussionBrowse other categories

Ani S. asked a question to Engineering & Science

Category: Experience

Date asked: Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Last reviewed: Friday, February 16, 2024

Picture of Eva D.

Eva D.

GPM Center of Excellence Leader, Services GPMO, NI Business Group

I did not start at Nokia as a junior engineer, so I cannot share my experience in that specific situation. Nokia has several programs and resources for onboarding, training, and personal development. For example, Nokia's Mentoring and Coaching program is open to all employees and covers a diverse list of topics across all of the company's functions and organizations. Nokia's EDU Learning and Development Hub also provides a framework for employees learning and development, both virtual and classroom. In addition to these, other resources available, like My Growth Portal, support employees to understand and plan career and growth opportunities considering job openings and job rotations, personal skills and potential areas of development, and specific technical career paths aligned with business strategy.

Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Picture of Stefanos B.

Stefanos B.

Software Engineer

Hello & Happy New Year. Thank you for your question. Nokia offers all new employees a smooth introduction to their responsibilities, regardless of each employee's experience level. Especially for junior engineers, there is a specific induction plan before they take up their duties and enter the activities of their role. When that plan is complete, then they can take responsibility. If they feel that the plan did not adequately cover all the necessary areas, they can visit Nokia's Learning & Development hub to expand their theoretical and technical knowledge. Finally, there is a technical career path through which employees can get advice about the future career path they can take. This path is calculated based on the experience, knowledge, and interests the employee declares in the career path application. This way all members can work in their area of interest or at least closer to it.

Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Picture of Sandrine H.

Sandrine H.

Employer Brand Ops and Innovation Lead

hi @Lindsey, @Rita and @Remi : you might want to share your views too!

Monday, January 8, 2024

Picture of Rita L.

Rita L.

Information Management - Business Intelligence and Knowledge Management

Hi! Happy New Year! Thank you @Sandrine for bringing this question to my attention! I started my journey at Nokia as a trainee in Data Science, and it was a smooth process. It all started with getting a buddy who helped me understand the business. I could ask anything to my buddy about any topic of the company, my team, my daily work, and my responsibilities and do some shadowing to understand the expected behavior to follow, also be coached and encouraged to participate and have my word. We start to work on small projects combined with a lot of training, so it is a great time to learn about your interests and all the content related to your teamwork. Usually, we spend more than 3 months doing training and shadowing, and then a project is assigned to us, once we feel confident to take it on our own. The onboarding process lasts around 6 months to have all the knowledge and information about the company to complete your first project and feel confident. Hope I could help you!

Monday, January 8, 2024

Picture of Remi M.

Remi M.

Software Engineer

I think the onboarding at Nokia is a thoughtful process - it's a mix of introductory meetings about the company, local regulations, etc., and solving tasks with the help of more experienced colleagues. Moreover, in Nokia, there are coaching and mentorship programs so newcomers in our company can thrive from the very first day!

Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Picture of Lindsey S.

Lindsey S.

FPGA Engineer

Everyone else has already mentioned many great resources to help you get started at Nokia: Coaching/Mentoring, the Learning Development Hub, and My Growth Portal. I started as an entry-level FPGA/Hardware Engineer, and honestly, my experience was learning by doing in addition to all the resources others have mentioned. I was on projects within my first couple weeks and had to ask lots of questions to understand the project objectives and even things as simple as what the devices we create do. (I work in the Optical Network Infrastructure field, which I was completely unfamiliar with until working at Nokia!) However, I'm very fortunate to be surrounded by people with years of experience in the industry and at Nokia in particular. I could learn from my team which helped me integrate into my role. Every team is different in their approach to onboarding new hires into their specific roles. In my personal experience, I learned by doing, asking questions, and learning from all the knowledgeable and experienced engineers around me.

Friday, February 16, 2024

Did you find this discussion helpful?