Picture of How do you keep motivated in your career?

How do you keep motivated in your career?

Picture of Francisco
Picture of Casey
3 responses

Anonymous asked a question to Casey C.

Category: Career progression

Date asked: Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Last reviewed: Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Picture of Francisco S.

Francisco S.

Fault Management Cloud Engineer

Hi, thank you for your question! I know your question was to my colleague Casey C., but I would like to share some of my experience. That is a good question not just about our career but also about our lives, and to be honest with you, I think each one has your type of approach to keeping motivated in their life and professional career. However, for me, there are some fundamental points. First of all, we must try to find our purpose, so we can ask ourselves some questions, like, What do you like to do? What are your motivations for doing it? What are you aiming to achieve in your personal and professional life? The second point, we must try to set short-term and long-term goals to keep you engaged and on track toward your personal and professional career. Then I have a third point, always ask for feedback from the manager or team leader because it not only shows that we are keen to perform in our role but it will motivate us to achieve more since we will feel more valued in the work we do. Then it is how we keep continuously learning. The fourth point is to keep learning new skills every time. It is trying to learn something new; by seeking out workshops, boot camps, webinars, courses, groups of discussion, etc. It would help if we chose something that falls outside of our comfort zone but is still relevant to our career. And the last one is to be a mindful person to a keep healthy 'self'. Try to avoid negative thoughts and comments about our job, do not take things personally, and build an awareness of others to help us manage our working environment and relationships. Therefore, building our professional career with a purpose will help us create a great career and personal growth, so keep a positive mindset and never stop learning! I hope my answer has helped you. Kind regards, Francisco Souza

Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Picture of Casey C.

Casey C.

Software Architect

Hello, Thanks for the questions and Francisco for providing good insight, I learned a lot from it. To share my experience as supplementary to the answer above. Better checks the different positions and roles within the organization. It will help you plan for your long-term goal, for example, if you want to grow your career to technical roles, people management roles, or project management roles to name a few. Then for the short-term goals to communicate them to your manager so they can provide you with materials, training, and events, or better they can direct your current responsibilities to your long-term goal to develop the skills needed for the long-term goal. Lastly, always keep personally motivated by rejoicing with your personal growth and achievements – big or small. And when you stumbled, get up and learn, as Francisco said, keep a positive mindset! Hope this gives you engouement. Best regards, Casey Chua

Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Picture of Sandrine H.

Sandrine H.

Employer Brand Ops and Innovation Lead

@Steve @Stefanos @Armia @Eva pls share your perspectives too!

Wednesday, February 15, 2023

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?