Picture of Please tell me about the biggest challenge you've faced since you joined?

Please tell me about the biggest challenge you've faced since you joined?

Picture of Remi
Picture of Charles
2 responses
Start new discussionBrowse other categories

Anonymous asked a question to Remi M.

Category: Role challenge

Date asked: mardi, janvier 2, 2024

Last reviewed: mardi, janvier 23, 2024

Picture of Remi M.

Remi M.

Software Engineer

I think that I've had many challenges since I joined the company, which is good because I can continuously develop myself with help from the organization. The biggest challenge that I faced was learning a new language (Go) and developing code in it - the project to which I joined, was based on Java and Go. Before I joined I hadn't known Go thus learning it was interesting but it required a lot of energy and commitment. Eventually, I overcame the challenge which was both satisfying and rewarding!

Thursday, January 18, 2024

Picture of Charles J.

Charles J.

Learning Solutions Consultant

Thank you for asking this question. Straight to the point, the biggest challenge I’ve faced, and continue to face, since joining Nokia and during my time with the technology companies before joining Nokia, has been CHANGE. The change to which I refer consisted mostly of adapting to frequent changes in my workplace and sometimes in my life  not always easy to separate the two. As it has applied to the workplace environment, the most numerous changes have occurred in the areas of data (instructions and processes), tools (new and updated hardware and software to enhance workplace performance), and incentives (compensation structures, advancement opportunities or the lack thereof, assignment mobility options, etc.). Such change, which varied between team-level reassignments thru corporate-level transformations additionally often resulted in substantial changes in organization and collegial relationships in the quest to best address customer and client needs. For example, some assignments have required frequent business travel (i.e., 30-40 business trips, both domestic and international) per year, another required maintaining offices in two states with frequent travel between the two locations, and there have been three full-blown work-related relocations. While much of the change resulted from needs of the business, some changes during my career have been self-inflicted by way of my personal/professional choices (for example, advancing my formal education, gaining specialized credentials, and other self-initiated activities to improve and enhance my workplace performance). Further examples of personal choices that have driven change during my career resulted from a plethora of workplace roles and assignments that have included technical writing, courseware development, project management, technical instructing, technical trainer manager/supervisor, training development and delivery management, and numerous appointments, special projects, and assignments including charitable fundraising, college recruiting support, and corporate athletic competitions participations. Change management requires us to analyze, understand, and prioritize expected business results and then to develop reasonable and feasible plans to achieve and exceed them. A key toward successfully navigating professional and personally-initiated change is to communicate regularly with one’s manager/supervisor regarding my workplace activities. It’s also important to realize how change will impacts one’s family unit. We must also consider how change might impact existing and future stakeholders (whether your management or your family) as you need the support and guidance of both while managing change. Successfully managing change is possible not only with backing from a leadership team, but also through prayer, from collaboration with colleagues, and with encouragement and steadfast support from one's family.

Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Did you find this discussion helpful?