Picture of In mission critical services, how do we make 5G safer since it uses mmWave frequencies?

In mission critical services, how do we make 5G safer since it uses mmWave frequencies?

9 responses

Additional information

from a health perspective

Chimdiebube L. asked during the live chat Working with world speed record-breaking 5G technology in Nokia to Nokia

Category: About us

Date asked: Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Last reviewed: Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Chimdiebube L.

Good evening Nokia team, great pleasure to ask one more question

Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Dariusz G.

Squad Group Leader

Hello, That is a great question indeed especially given the media coverage of the subject. There are a couple of subjects here that need to be answer, but to briefly sum it up: mmWave is new for telecom, but not new to the world - the same frequencies have been used for decades in other branches of industry like radars or satellite TV. After all those years there is literally zero evidence suggesting mmWaves are any more dangerous than a sub6G frequencies.

Dariusz G.

Squad Group Leader

Also keep in mind that due to a massive-mimo beamforming the actual amount of radiated power hitting uninvolved bystanders is much, much lower than in 4G/4,5G solutions

Chimdiebube L.

So from the media perspective, the mmWave frequencies have little or no effect to bystanders

Chimdiebube L.

Like they portray it to be

Dariusz G.

Squad Group Leader

We've been living with that kind of radiation for the better pat of our lives (or all our lives depending on the age) and there's no real evidence that it could be harmful to humans. That being said please keep in mind that the actual power transmitted by a BTS is typically under 100W right at the base station and dropping significantly with range. There's a standard called SAR that actually measures and points out a safe distance from anything that radiates. A separate value is given for an incidental exposure and a constant exposure. I've never seen any NOKIA's base station that would not be safe even to the person standing right next to it.

Picture of Kamil M.

Kamil M.

Faculty of Mechanical Engineering

Nokia Poland - we cooperate with Universities, listen to professors voices, sceptic voices, read articles (real scientific articles), measure our signals all the times, respect regulations. Me, as a engineer spending long hours in laboratory (and as a PhD student), I feel safe and I didn't find any "real" reason to be scared.

Chimdiebube L.

Great to hear. I'm looking at taking certifications on 5G prior to joining Nokia

Chimdiebube L.

I also learnt Nokia deployed 5G in South Korea for SKT, how has been the performance and feedback from MNO (customer)

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?