Picture of At what scale (number of users / latency / download size etc.) was the record 5G network speed achieved?

At what scale (number of users / latency / download size etc.) was the record 5G network speed achieved?

Picture of Kamil
2 responses

Sachin Y. asked during the live chat Working with world speed record-breaking 5G technology in Nokia to Nokia

Category: About us

Date asked: Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Last reviewed: Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Picture of Kamil M.

Kamil M.

Faculty of Mechanical Engineering

Hi Sachin; This is complex question because we have different scores depends on the conditions. I can give you at least 10 different values of downlink speed depends if specific feature is on or off, or if there is mimo/massive mimo in use, or if it is TCP or UDP, or there is one user or more..... Couple of years ago we exceeded promised 10 GB/s. Now we work to keep it stable with specific configurations and in real environment - for example, when 500 people go by train through crowded city, this is a challenge ;) About latency: - in D2D (device to device) communication there is less then 1ms of latency. 5G frame structure allows to reach this value - in "usual" communication, main restriction is the speed of the light and latencies are in range of 1 - 100ms, depends on the distance between callers. About capacity - number of users. I know that 5G will let connect up to million devices per square km. But I have no real data – sorry - it is not my area.

Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Sachin Y.

Ok. I remembered the target of 10 GB /s for 5G, so was wondering how far are connectivity providers to reach that bench mark and if its going to be attainable at all. It is really possible.

Tuesday, October 13, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?