Picture of What is it like being a woman engineer at Nokia?

What is it like being a woman engineer at Nokia?

Best discussions & stories
8 responses

Steffano E. asked a question to Nokia

Category: Diversity

Date asked: Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Last reviewed: Friday, February 16, 2024

Sam Y.

Industrial Engineering

It is very intimidating at first to see that most of my colleagues are men, especially that there is this notion that men excel in Engineering more than women but I was glad to see that I was at par with my teammates. I appreciate it too that we understand and respect each other equally and that there is no sense of division caused by what your gender may be.

Thursday, January 31, 2019

Catalina Z.

Talent Acquisition Manager - Americas Region

I'm not an Engineer, but I can tell you that Nokia is committed to working on Diversity & Inclusion, from the recruitment process and all the way through development and career growth. We know there are some areas where the female population is smaller, but we would love to increase those numbers and we are working on different programs globally to make that happen.

Thursday, February 14, 2019

Picture of Anni R.

Anni R.

Development Studies

I am not an engineer so I cannot comment on that angle. But I think women engineers are very common in Nokia. In fact, I think NOT being an engineer (whether you are man or woman) is more uncommon. The tech industry is tilted in gender split towards majority male by far, so most often I find myself in a room full of men, being the only woman. I think in Nokia this is more a question of volumes of employees than attitudes; which I feel are quite neutral. But it does help that as a woman in this industry you absolutely have to know what you're talking about, especially if you don't have a technical background.

Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Picture of Lucy F.

Lucy F.

head of technology

As women engineer worked in NOKIA, I feel I could get equal opportunity for career development. In Nokia, I met many excellent females in technology areas, they developed very well, and gender diversity is quite supported. Simply saying, I always forget I am a women in the work, because we are truly equal.

Monday, April 1, 2019

Yasin X.

I'm not a woman. When we say the engineer in our sector, it is understood that it is only a man's job, which is a very wrong perception. Not only in our sector, but also in other sectors, women need to play an active role. Because women don't really have a job that they can't handle. Their perspective is different and these differences allow us to look at things from a wider perspective. I believe that this opinion will lead to a further discussion in any field, thanks to the high quality discussion environment created by these differences.

Sunday, December 8, 2019

Farah U.

5G L1 Software Engineer

This might be different depending on the the team/country/etc, but I'll share my own experience. I work in the Layer1 Software development team in the Finland (Espoo) office. The team is made up mostly of men, so when I joined I was expecting for a long time to feel some kind of different treatment. However, I can honestly say that it has not happened at all. I feel like I am treated exactly the same as everyone else who joins the team, and judged only by my competencies and skills. I feel respected , trusted, and relied upon, not more and nor less than if I were a man.

Friday, April 17, 2020

Picture of Nitasha M.

Nitasha M.

Solution Manager

As a woman engineer at Nokia, I'm privileged to have equal and significant opportunities to contribute to technology. Gender diversity and inclusion are fundamental values of our organization, and I'm proud to be a part of it. Nokia fosters an environment where I feel empowered, with ample opportunities, respect, trust, visibility, and avenues for growth. These aspects reinforce my confidence and enable me to thrive in my role, making a meaningful impact in the field of technology.

Friday, February 16, 2024

Picture of Rita L.

Rita L.

Information Management - Business Intelligence and Knowledge Management

I am not an engineer, so I can't comment on that point of view, but I can say that being a data scientist or anything related to data is an amazing experience, I would say it is pretty similar to a man's experience, I hope! Great opportunities, a lot of things to learn, a great environment, and a great time, and actually my team has more women than men! It is a modern area of the business, with modern mindsets!

Friday, February 16, 2024

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?