Picture of What do you think are the most important qualities for someone to excel?

What do you think are the most important qualities for someone to excel?

Picture of Mikko
Picture of Casey
2 responses

Anonymous asked a question to Mikko P.

Category: Career Advice

Date asked: Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Last reviewed: Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Picture of Mikko P.

Mikko P.

Research and Development Engineer, L1 Software

While people with very different sets of qualities can excel in various roles, I tried to gather a few that I find essential. All in all, I think any kind of social and soft skills are important. First off, the ability to maintain motivation! This may also quite a lot correspond to being curious and wanting to develop oneself. In my experience, everything is just easier with good motivation and it really goes a long way. I would argue that it also has a direct link to the quality of the results, and one's persistence. So this indeed is one of the most essential things. Second on my list, it is the courage to reach beyond my comfort zone. That is not very easy and should be done to a reasonable extent not to exhaust oneself. However, the most surprising (and maybe profound) learning experiences might happen here. And after open-mindedly facing a challenge and overcoming it, the feeling is pretty good! Last I could mention overall flexibility. I mean the ability to adapt to new situations and handle change and uncertainty gracefully. I guess most jobs involve this nowadays, and keeping oneself concentrated despite the change around is key.

Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Picture of Casey C.

Casey C.

Software Architect

Hmmm… most important qualities for someone to excel… Allow me to share three. The first is for you to be better than yourself yesterday. It’s about never being complacent and always pushing for a better you. Even when everything is working fine, challenge yourself, and find where you can improve/create new things, processes, or systems to improve yourself or the organization. In addition to this idea is not to be afraid of change. The second is to be a teacher/trainer for someone. Teaching someone what you know not only challenge what you know, but also enhances your communication skill, and collaboration with your team, most importantly to grow the knowledge in your team and to affect the organization you’re in. Sometimes the teacher also learns from the student. The third is to be a problem solver. This is being more of an active participant in the discussion. Thinking outside the box, being innovative, and not being afraid to share your idea. This will not only show problem-solving skill, and communication skills but more over to increase leadership skills. Hoping to inspire you to excel in your career.

Wednesday, January 18, 2023

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?