Picture of Interview advice: How do I tread the fine line between elaborating on my accomplishments vs. sounding cocky?

Interview advice: How do I tread the fine line between elaborating on my accomplishments vs. sounding cocky?

Picture of Linda
1 response

Pranav P. asked a question to Linda K.

Category: Interview Tips

Date asked: Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Last reviewed: Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Picture of Linda K.

Linda K.

Talent Attraction Partner & Campus Program Manager

This is a great question, Pranav. It's all about the execution; however, there is a saying: 'You don't tell the hiring manager you are great. You tell him about the great things you have done. Elaborating on accomplishments is not being cocky, you are simply stating facts and it's not a brag if you are being asked about it or when it's appropriate. One way to achieve this is to not ramble off your resume and list of accomplishments. You can provide real examples of ways that you've shown your skills and capabilities through your prior work and academic experiences in just a normal conversation. Having a conversation is key. Body language, and also how you prep (i.e. understanding your skills and accomplishments before interviews), will make a positive difference in how you execute yourself in an interview.

Tuesday, January 10, 2023

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?