Picture of How I can improve my CV in order to get selected and what can I add in order to stand out?

How I can improve my CV in order to get selected and what can I add in order to stand out?

Picture of Izabela
Picture of Simo
10 responses
Start new discussionBrowse other categories

Piyush S. asked during the live chat Launch your career with Nokia: Live Chat with recent graduates and interns | Europe Edition to Nokia

Category: General

Date asked: Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Last reviewed: Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Picture of Izabela S.

Izabela S.

Talent Attraction Partner

Hi! Good question. It depends on the position and your skillset. But here are some general tips: Try to customize your CV. It's tempting to have one general CV that you send to multiple companies but this is not the best approach. Try to prepare the CV for every role - each time highlighting the skills that you have and that are required in the new position.

Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Picture of Simo H.

Simo H.

Telecommunications, information technology, microcircuit design.

Aside from the hard factors of a CV (Grades, work experience, educational attainment), from personal experience, I have found that being able to express the enthusiasm in something that relates to your experience, skills or the work you applying to, is a big plus. Something you have genuine feelings about: Joy, pride, passion and even longing for. Often this kind of genuine expression can best be given in the cover letter.

Picture of Izabela S.

Izabela S.

I strongly recommend adding a short "introduction" or "about me" section, where you can tell more about your motivation. This is a great opportunity to customize the motivation for this particular company Spend a few minutes focusing on the visual side as well. Keep your CV clean, professional, and easy to read. Use consistent formatting, headings, and bullet points. If you’ve completed any relevant courses, be sure to mention them. This is your chance to set you apart from other candidates. You can also mention your private projects. Especially at the beginning when students don't have much commercial experience, it's really important to show that you are doing "something" :) even only for yourself

Piyush S.

I wanted to ask whether learning a few programming languages is good or properly understanding any particular language is enough. And how much of a bigger role does having knowledge of DSA play in getting selected for any internship.

Picture of Carolina M.

Carolina M.

System Simulation Engineer

From personal experience, I can say that if you understand a programming language you basically can use another one. To this day I'm still googling how to write an if statement in Python. So as long as you're a good coder and have Google/chatGPT as your best friend, you can thrive.

Piyush S.

I have 3 questions: How does the company support continuous learning and professional development for interns? What exciting challenges or goals is the engineering team currently focused on? What does the onboarding process look like for new interns?

Picture of Ruchi R.

Ruchi R.

Software Enginner

Hello Piyush, to answer your question about programming languages, I agree with Caro's advice to have a strong hold over at least one programming language. In the interview process, you can demonstrate your willingness and ability to learn or work with any other language as needed by that specific role. In my opinion, DSA is indeed important for any individual aspiring to enter the world of Software Engineering. For an internship, you may not necessarily need to be a DSA expert but as long as you have a good foundation, it should be good.

Picture of Izabela S.

Izabela S.

Hi! All trainees have Buddy assigned to them. Buddies will help with learning all the necessary tools and introduce you to the Nokia culture. During the first few weeks, the team will introduce you to the project and prepare some training/learning materials. Apart from that, we have a community of interns, trainees and recent grads that join together to make life at Nokia more fun and engaging - it's called NextGEN. You can meet some of our NextGEN employees today ;)

Picture of Ruchi R.

Ruchi R.

Software Enginner

And we also have Coaching and Mentorship programs at Nokia that can benefit one to grow further in their professional career.

Piyush S.

Thank u to everyone for clearing my doubts.

Did you find this discussion helpful?