Picture of What is the work-life balance like in your role?

What is the work-life balance like in your role?

Picture of Casey
1 response

Anonymous asked a question to Casey C.

Category: Work Life Balance

Date asked: Monday, November 7, 2022

Last reviewed: Monday, November 7, 2022

Picture of Casey C.

Casey C.

Software Architect

Oh wow! Personally, this is a tough subject for me, and I'm still learning how to do it. I started my Nokia career in the Philippines and the day starts at 9 AM and “is supposed” to end at 6 PM. But the 6 PM Philippines time zone is only around lunchtime on our European sites like Romania and Poland, so there are time that I extend working hours (like 9 PM onwards) especially if there are some urgent matters that needs attention. And it gets even harder during the work-from-home where detaching from work is even harder. Some key points and reminders to myself I learned and tried to apply to have a work-life balance: 1. to plan and set a limit, there are tasks even if you extend time, it's still not possible to finish within the day (or a given span of time). Scheduling the job and setting priorities are important then to communicate the effort needed for the given task. 2. take time to rest, it’s hard to think when your mind and body are exhausted. In the middle of work – short breaks are important – getting a coffee and sometimes taking time to have a short talk/call to colleagues that is outside of work topics (some topics like vacations and nice places to visit). 3. and last but the most important is taking time off and spending quality time with family, some activities like hiking, going to parks/malls, swimming, watching movies, or just grabbing a cold beer.

Monday, November 7, 2022

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?