Picture of Hello Charles, I am a PhD in EE . What is expected from a graduate like me?

Hello Charles, I am a PhD in EE . What is expected from a graduate like me?

Best discussions & stories
Picture of Charles
3 responses

Anindita C. asked a question to Charles J.

Category: Qualifications

Date asked: Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Last reviewed: Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Picture of Charles J.

Charles J.

Learning Solutions Consultant

Hi Anindita C. – I hope that your day is going well. First, congratulations on your achievements; Ph.D. in EE is a tremendous accomplishment. Thank you for asking this important question regarding workplace performance expectations for new graduates. There are no short answers, but I will try to write efficiently. The approach I’ll use here is to initially offer some general expectations and then follow with some reflection on what might be some of the more specific expectations for new graduates. For general workplace expectations, there are what we refer to as the “Nokia Essentials”, which are Open, Fearless, and Empowered, and which apply to all Nokia employees. The Nokia Essentials lay the foundation of Nokia’s culture to collectively deliver on Nokia’s business strategy and to serve its customers effectively. To summarize, at Nokia, we are (1) “Open” to continuous renewal, which drives our success, we are (2) “Fearless” because we feel free to speak our minds, embrace experimentation, and respect each other, and we are (3) “Empowered” to achieve our goals and make our purpose real. As it relates to workplace performance, excellence requires one to consistently put forth their best efforts, with integrity, in support of their organization’s most important goals. Some of the fundamental qualities for individuals to excel in the workplace include being a team player, consistently holding yourself accountable to perform well, exhibiting the self-awareness and self-regulation to leverage your strengths and to address your weaknesses, continuous learning and knowledge-sharing mindsets, and the willingness to ask relevant questions and to fearlessly speak up inappropriate ways. You must feel that the success of your colleagues is as important as your own. For your long-term workplace performance improvement, you will be expected to work closely with your manager to provide you with: (1) guidance/direction and relevant/frequent performance feedback, (2) effective tools and pertinent/accurate procedures to perform your role effectively, and (3) needed incentives (such as learning opportunities, professional development, and career advancement prospects). Demand from yourself the motivations to (1) takes the necessary steps (such as training and non-training performance improvement interventions) to help assure you gain and maintain the expected/needed knowledge and skills to excel, (2) honestly assess your capacity (i.e., aptitude and ability) to perform exceptionally, and (3) evaluate how well your personal motivators match available incentives. In summary, excelling in the workplace will not depend entirely on you; your organization, and especially your first-line manager, also play crucial roles in supporting your efforts to achieve excellence. For specific workplace expectations, a recommended approach is to thoroughly review the job requirements associated with specific Nokia career opportunities which best align with your experience and qualifications. The position descriptions provide information about the team you’ll be part of, what you will learn and contribute to, and the desired skills and experience). All new-graduate job positions at Nokia are available via the following link: https://www.nokia.com/about-us/careers/student-and-graduate-opportunities/ Closely review the expectations and requirements associated with the open position(s) that are of interest to you and which best align with your experience and qualifications. Don’t hesitate to apply for all positions for which you wish to be considered. Thank you again for your mindful question.

Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Xinying C.

But most positions only want masters or bachelors.

Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Picture of Charles J.

Charles J.

Learning Solutions Consultant

Hi - you may still apply for all open positions which you wish to be considered. Thank you.

Tuesday, March 22, 2022

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?