Picture of What is your official organizational structure? Horizontal, Vertical, Hybrid, or Matrix? Do you have an org. chart?

What is your official organizational structure? Horizontal, Vertical, Hybrid, or Matrix? Do you have an org. chart?

Picture of Bori
Picture of Charles
2 responses

Additional information

I've been searching for days for the answer to this question and come up short. I understand about the existence of the four business groups and the Group Leadership Team. What I do not understand is the structure by which these groups report to and communicate with one another. In a matrix design, for instance, groups are created that each report to two executives (such as the president of mobile networks and the CFO). Is that how authority and flow of information is structured at Nokia?

C. Daniel W. asked a question to Bori M.

Category: About us

Date asked: Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Last reviewed: Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Picture of Bori M.

Bori M.

Head of Coaching & Mentoring

Hi, Daniel, I would say we are a matrix organization - with a very open way of working, strongly connected to our culture of Open, Fearless, and Empowered - far from the hierarchic structure one learns about with regards to some establishments. Information, communication is dynamic, accessible to all employees through Townhalls, SharePoint pages, Yammer, and e-mail communication, just to mention a few. https://www.nokia.com/about-us/company/leadership-and-governance/ You can read about our operating model here: https://www.nokia.com/about-us/company/nokias-strategy-2021/

Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Picture of Charles J.

Charles J.

Learning Solutions Consultant

Hi C. Daniel W., Thank you for asking this critical question. The benefits and liabilities of the various organizational structure options are well documented. In my opinion, the matrix configuration most closely aligns with the structure of the organization of which I am part. Within that matrix organizational structure, there exists an amount of verticality for leadership purposes. The organization structures used emphasize well-defined workplace roles, empowerment, and significant horizontal component to help encourage expedient decision-making, substantial levels of collaboration (between different groups, departments, and organizations), and accountabilities necessary to consistently meet and exceed customer expectations. For example, Nokia’s Training Delivery Managers must collaborate closely with Instructor teams and their managers (within the same organization), Sales Enablement and Business Development teams (within a different group), Equipment Labs staff and customer account executives (within different organizations), Courseware Development teams, etc. for Nokia customers to receive the product and technology learning services they need; and when they need it. All Nokia employees are given the required tools and encouraged to exercise the autonomy, openness, autonomy, and empowerment to make the decisions needed to do our jobs effectively. Our leaders are always ready to support us whenever and however needed. My observation is that all groups within Nokia have organizational charts.

Tuesday, April 5, 2022

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?