Picture of I am really keen to know about the culture and diversity in the company

I am really keen to know about the culture and diversity in the company

Picture of Stefanos
Picture of Charles
2 responses
Start new discussionBrowse other categories

Gagan B. asked a question to Charles J.

Category: Diversity

Date asked: Friday, July 5, 2024

Last reviewed: Friday, July 19, 2024

Picture of Stefanos B.

Stefanos B.

Software Engineer

Hello Gagan and thank you for your question. NOKIA's culture is to respect everyone and create working relationships based on integrity, reliability, supportiveness and responsibility. Ethnicity, gender, age, religious and educational background should not be a means of categorizing people. The previous idea is fully adopted as a philosophy by NOKIA. All people have the same opportunities and discrimination has no place at Nokia. This reasoning is important because it can form the basis for a stable and healthy work environment. In addition, continuous learning is part of NOKIA's culture. All employees have the opportunity to attend trainings based on their interests, skills and previous experience. Finally flexible way of working is one more thing that you can meet in our company. There are positions in some sites that you can be in hybrid way of working. Also the working hours can be modified and not fixed, for example 9 to 5, in case you face a difficult situation.

Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Picture of Charles J.

Charles J.

Learning Solutions Consultant

Hi Gagan  Thank you for this question. As a minority employee, I have first-hand experience with Nokia’s unique commitment to the role of diversity in business success. I appreciate Nokia’s unwavering support of the needs of every employee  geography, ethnicity, and gender notwithstanding, and personally respect Nokia’s stance regarding education, training, policy, and practice toward helping diminish unintentional biases. At Nokia, we are keenly aware of the cultural differences among our employees, and we grow and learn from working with colleagues who may have backgrounds and beliefs different than our own. I can attest that Nokia welcomes and embraces people as their true selves. Nokia’s culture and ethical standards set clear expectations on how we treat people, collaborate, and conduct business with customers, partners, and employees. The integration of inclusion, ethics, integrity, and respect for others into our daily business interactions are key to how we at Nokia view ourselves and help guide our relationships with our colleagues and customers. In 2023, Nokia’s ranking and evaluation averaged 11% higher than the tech industry average for these areas. As for me, I work daily with colleagues from around the world  where we genuinely appreciate each other’s talents, respect each other’s cultures and beliefs, and convey sincere wishes for wellbeing. The Nokia team to which I belong is truly gender-balanced and multi-cultural (i.e., I am based in the US, my female boss is based in Finland, and the people with whom I work most closely are an almost equal mix of males and females based in Brazil, Egypt, France, Romania, India, Poland, and the US). In fact, Nokia demonstrates its commitment to diversity and inclusion by establishing minimum gender-based targets and tracking for hirings. For example, in 2023, Nokia achieved 27.9% of external female hiring, which exceeded its target of 27%. Nokia has also announced ambition is to increase the percentage of women in the workforce to 25% by 2030 and reviews employee compensations yearly to address unexplained gender pay gaps. Nokia’s Code of Conduct expresses our individual and collective commitment for ethical behavior  as part of our work, and for everything we do. Our newly hired employees are instructed that conducting work ethically and in compliance with the law and company policies is essential. Each year, every Nokia employee is asked to complete mandatory Nokia Code of Conduct and Nokia’s Ethical Business trainings. At Nokia, we do not tolerate unethical behavior. If we observe what we believe to be unethical practices, we are encouraged and supported to voice their concerns, without fear of retaliation. It is uplifting to me that Nokia supports the specific needs of its employees and engages us to help build and maintain more equal and inclusive work environments. For example, Nokia collaborates with its employee resource groups such as StrongHer US Women’s Leadership Network, HISPA (Hispanic Association of Nokia Employees), ABLE (Advancing Black Leadership and Excellence), IDEAL (Individuals Dedicated to Enabling Accessibility in Life), 4A (Asian/Pacific American Association for Advancement), and others such as EQUAL! (supporting lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer employees and their friends and family), LUNA (United Native Americans of Nokia), Our Greenhouse, and several more! Additionally, Nokia participates in benchmarks such as Bloomberg Gender Equality Index to help identify its strengths and areas of development. In summary, my observations and opinion, as a long-term employee, is that Nokia, as a truly global company provides a world-class environment within which its employees are encouraged and supported to grow both personally and professionally  where Nokia’s multi-cultural teams working closely together to achieve our business goals. I feel blessed to have the opportunity to work for a company that, through its considerable resources, policies, and programs places so much emphasizes on supporting and assuring employees’ individual and collective workplace successes. Thanks again for your question.

Friday, July 19, 2024

Did you find this discussion helpful?