Picture of What is it like for a woman of colour working at Nokia?

What is it like for a woman of colour working at Nokia?

Picture of Charles
Picture of Charles
5 responses

Kimberley K. asked a question to Charles J.

Category: Diversity

Date asked: Saturday, September 12, 2020

Last reviewed: Friday, September 18, 2020

Picture of Charles J.

Charles J.

Learning Solutions Consultant

Hi Kimberley - I do not have first-hand perspectives of what it is like for a woman of colour working at Nokia. Thus, I asked some of the women of colour with whom I work for their feedback to your inquiry. Here is one person's response: "As a black woman who has more than 30 years in the company I can say it has been and continues to be interesting. In light of todays environment we are working with executives to help Nokia to become more aware for the need of increased levels of inclusion relating to African Americans. Some progress has been made and we continue to work to make more strides in this area. Not there yet, but the fact that we are getting face time and can see some results shows that it’s headed in the right direction. I would say there is opportunity as a black woman to make your mark in the company as many African American have and continue to contribute to the success of the company and we’re very proud of that."

Sunday, September 13, 2020

Picture of Charles J.

Charles J.

Hi Kimberley - Here is the perspective of another woman of color at Nokia to your question: Being a woman of color has definitely impacted the experiences, encounters, and opportunities that I’ve had at Nokia. Over my 35 year tenure, I can honestly say my knowledge, skill set, and experience were key to being assigned certain projects and eventually promoted. I’ve learned that in some cases, the rules of the engagement are not always the same, equal or fair for a woman of color. So, I quickly learned one has to take charge of their career, build alliances, keep non-supportive people at bay and find initiatives, organizations, and programs where I felt personally fulfilled. Nokia is putting forth a good effort and focus on improving cultural awareness, expanding Diversity & Inclusion beyond gender diversity, and making the workplace more reflective of the world we live in.

Thursday, September 17, 2020

Kimberley K.

Thank you so much for the insightful and helpful responses.

Thursday, September 17, 2020

Picture of Charles J.

Charles J.

You're welcome.

Friday, September 18, 2020

Picture of Charles J.

Charles J.

Hi Kimberley - Here is one additional response to your inquiry. This perspective comes from the Director, a woman of color, to whom I report in Nokia: As a black female who has been with the company for 38 years, my tenure has been challenging, exciting, sometimes frustrating, but overall fulfilling. I have worked in several different job areas and I have to admit to learning a great deal on each assignment. I am proud to say I have enjoyed my time with the company and have seen many changes throughout the years; some positive, and some not so much. My career has been rewarding, but realize nothing came easy or was freely given to me. I was blessed to have some strong black females in the company serve as mentors to me during my early years. Those strong and intelligent black females helped pave the way for me, and I appreciate the company allowing me to work with these ladies. I learned early on to work hard and do a good job at any task presented to me. I also learned to always be prepared for anything assigned to me, even if this required me to work long hours and sometimes weekends. A very positive thing for me was having some excellent bosses who supported me and allowed me guilt-free time with my family. Overall, I am proud of my time with the company and the many good people I have known over the years. I have seen some positive changes for people of color and females which allowed me to reach the level of Director. The company now has a focus on diversity and inclusion which are definite steps in the right direction.

Friday, September 18, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?