Picture of Does your role at Nokia include working with Signal Processing systems and how the interview goes for the similar roles?

Does your role at Nokia include working with Signal Processing systems and how the interview goes for the similar roles?

Picture of Mikko
1 response

Mahekkumar P. asked a question to Mikko P.

Category: Interview Tips

Date asked: Friday, December 23, 2022

Last reviewed: Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Picture of Mikko P.

Mikko P.

Research and Development Engineer, L1 Software

Great question! The short answer to the first question is yes. The layer 1, or the physical layer, involves a lot of signal processing algorithms. On the physical layer, signal processing operations such as (de-)modulation, channel estimation, and equalization are performed. In addition to this, there is a lot of control logic around, so it is for example not necessary to know all the deep details of wireless communication systems to work in layer 1 software development. For example, I am working with people with various technical backgrounds. However, previous domain knowledge of course helps one blend in. Having a signal processing background myself, I have found the tasks involving signal processing the most interesting ones to work with. It is a nice feeling, when I observe that I was able to use my knowledge and skills to overcome a challenge or solve a problem. In addition, because the systems are very complex, sophisticated, and ever-evolving, I can always find new things to learn. And interesting things are happening also on the control logic side. I have worked with some bigger features in that area, and I can say that they have taught me quite many good programming practices and such things. When it comes to job interviews, I can hardly give a good overall picture but I can speak from my experience. I think the exact format and content of the interviews might change depending on the interviewer, the applicant's background, and the specific role in question. For me, I was applying to an entry-level software developer position and I was interviewed by a line manager and a technical expert from the department. I remember that I was asked some technical questions and I explained some things from my study and work background as well to show what kind of skills I had collected. However, the interview was not a knowledge check in any way, but rather in a form of a discussion. I think in general the interviewers are not so interested in the exact knowledge that the job applicant has, but rather their ability to adapt, learn, and become a member of the work community. However, I could imagine that the amount of technical questions increases when interviewing applicants for technical roles with higher seniority.

Wednesday, December 28, 2022

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?